Cigarette ignited potting soil, then Omaha apartment building

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013 12:00 am

The improper disposal of smoking materials caused a blaze that destroyed a southwest Omaha apartment building on Friday, fire officials have concluded.

Assistant Fire Chief Dan Stolinski said Monday that a cigarette stubbed out in potting soil reignited on the deck of a second-floor apartment balcony at the Applewood Point apartment complex. An estimated 80 people evacuated the building at 9506 S Plaza, including one who was treated for smoke inhalation.

Subscription Required

An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

You must login to view the full content on this page.

Thank you for reading and relying on Omaha.com for your news and information. You have now viewed your 30 day allowance of 15 free Omaha.com articles. If you are an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber please click here. If you are not an Omaha World-Herald Subscriber and would like to have Unlimited access to all Digital Products please click here. If you have any questions or need further information please call 402-346-3363 or 1-800-234-6942 or email customer.service@owh.com You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Login

Copyright ©2014 Omaha World-Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald. To purchase rights to republish this article, please contact The World-Herald Store.

loading...

World-Herald Alerts

Want to get World-Herald stories sent directly to your home or work computer? Sign up for Omaha.com's News Alerts and you will receive e-mails with the day's top stories.