Lemonade, fireflies and relaxing in the sun. That's what summer is made of. Try these easy steps for a carefree picnic in your own backyard, by a lake or at a park.
1. Create a custom picnic blanket from a paint drop cloth. Lay a plastic-lined drop cloth (available at hardware stores) flat, cloth side up. Tape off a stripe design with blue painter's tape. Use a small roller to paint stripes, let the paint dry and apply a second coat. When dry, remove painter's tape. Voila! You have a custom-designed picnic blanket.
2. Pack complete meals in cute boxes before leaving the house. Once you get to your picnic destination, give each guest a box. No setup, no cleanup.
3. Serve watermelon lemonade (recipe below) in mason jars and garnish with skewered watermelon stars. Cut a thin slice of watermelon, and use a small star cookie cutter to make shapes. Skewer stars onto striped straws and serve.
4. Cover condiments with cupcake liners. Flatten cupcake liners. Place them on top of containers, and then crease and fold them down and secure with rubber bands to keep condiments safe from bugs.
5. Make paper napkins fancy with buckle napkin rings. Pick up a pack of D-rings and a spool of proportionally sized ribbon from your local craft store. Measure enough ribbon to go around your napkin, and loop one end around the flat side of a D-ring. Sew or glue ribbon in place, and then string a second D-ring onto the ribbon. Belt the napkin.
What you need
6 cups 1-inch cubes seedless watermelon (from about a 5-pound melon)
1 (10 ounce) bottle 365 Everyday Value® Organic Lemon Juice
6 cups water
3/4 cup cane sugar
Mint sprigs, for garnish
What you do
1. Working in batches as necessary, puree watermelon and lemon juice in blender until smooth; transfer to a large container.
2. Add water and sugar; stir until dissolved.
3. Pour over ice in tall glasses, garnish with mint and thin slices of watermelon, if desired, and serve.
Per Serving: 60 calories (0 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 13g sugar), 0g protein
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods