Top-ranked Nebraska opened the season with a 25-27, 25-15, 25-16, 25-21 win over No. 10 Florida Friday night during the VERT Challenge at Matthew Knight Arena.
There are no tuneup fights for No. 1 Nebraska as it opens defense of its national championship this weekend. At the VERT Challenge, played this year in Eugene, Oregon, two heavyweights await — No. 10 Florida on Friday at 6 p.m. and No. 2 Texas on Saturday at 5:30 p.m.
The Big Ten West has an overwhelming favorite this season: Iowa. But just how far ahead are the Hawkeyes from the rest of the division?
Nebraska coach Mike Riley confirmed Thursday night that two senior starters — wide receiver Brandon Reilly and safety Nate Gerry — will be suspended for the Huskers' season opener against Fresno State.
More Husker coverage
April 16: Red-White spring game
Sept. 3: Fresno State, 7 p.m. (BTN)
Sept. 10: Wyoming, 11 a.m. (ESPN2)
Sept. 17: Oregon, 2:30 p.m. (ABC)
Sept. 24: at Northwestern, 6:30 p.m. (BTN)
Oct. 1: Illinois, 2:30 p.m.
Oct. 15: at Indiana, 2:30 p.m.
Oct. 22: Purdue, TBA
Oct. 29: at Wisconsin, 6 p.m. (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2)
Nov. 5: at Ohio State, 7 p.m. (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2)
Nov. 12: Minnesota, 6:30 p.m. (BTN)
Nov. 19: Maryland, TBA
Nov. 25: at Iowa, TBA
Big Ten championship game
Dec. 3 in Indianapolis
Quarterbacks and fans alike will have an easier time seeing the play clocks in Memorial Stadium this football season after the University of Nebraska added two high-definition scoreboards at field level.
In a historic series, The World-Herald honors Nebraska's all-time greatest athletes. The Nebraska 100, originally selected in 2005 and then updated and re-ranked in 2015, came from a pool of nearly 500 names from the ranks of high school, college, amateur and professional sports from the pas…
Nebraska's new football coach was a humble man who had everything he wanted in a peaceful town. Why did he give it up? Dirk Chatelain's four-part series takes a deep look at Mike Riley's life and how it's shaped him and the decisions he makes to this day.
Check out an interactive, annotated version of Mike Riley's coaching contract, signed Dec. 4, 2014 — the same day he was announced head football coach at Nebraska.
Follow @OWHbigred on Twitter for the latest Husker headlines, analysis, photos, video and more.
How stocked is Nebraska at each position? Reference our scholarship distribution chart for the Husker football team indicating how many players hold scholarships at each position, arranged by their year in school.
Take a look back at 126 seasons of Nebraska football with our ever-growing Husker history database, complete with photos, stories and more.
- Mad Chatter: Are Huskers tired of the 3-stripe life?; feedback on Aguek Arop; Tom Osborne's psychology lesson
- No. 1 Huskers open national-title defense with four-set victory over No. 10 Florida
- TBL: Boys to Men Conference event donating proceeds to Sam Foltz scholarship fund
- TBL: Purdue preview with the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel's Pete DiPrimio
- Competitions complete, Husker opponents name starting quarterbacks
- Report: Derrion Grim cites lack of trust in Mike Riley's offensive vision as reason for transfer
- It's been years since Nebraska hosted a five-star on an official visit, but that's about to change
- Early tournament can give Huskers measure of offseason progress