COUNCIL BLUFFS — A gas leak just south of downtown on Wednesday forced several homes to be evacuated.
Council Bluffs Police Sgt. Chris Leber said an underground gas line was struck at 8:20 a.m. during construction in the area of South First Street near Damon and Knepper Streets. Police blocked surrounding streets until the leak was repaired.
The gas line feeding 25 customers in the neighborhood was shut off, and Black Hills Energy employees fixed the break by 4:30 p.m., said Denise Richardson, Black Hills Energy’s program manager for external affairs for western Iowa.
Service was restored to customers in the area after they contacted Black Hills Energy.
Residents still without service should call Black Hills’ customer service line at 888-890-5554, Richardson said. Technicians were going from home to home to conduct safety checks and relight pilot lights on indoor appliances.