* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition.
* At the VMAs on MTV, Miley Cyrus danced in her underwear surrounded by prancing, giant faux bears. There is now a fine line between MTV award show entertainment and a nightmare you'd have after eating spicy food before bedtime.
* The renovation of the Westroads Mall in Omaha will include the addition of free WiFi, cellphone charging stations and a super-large big-screen TV. So, moms, if you want to know where your teenager and your husbands are on weekends, first check Westroads.
* If this works out OK, Crossroads may get a functioning escalator.
* The heat is back in Omaha, with highs expected in the upper nineties all week. For the first time, the Omaha budget plan is serving a purpose: City Council members are using it to fan themselves.
* It's hot. I guess it's asking too much for the mayor's office and fire department to communicate enough to open a few fire hydrants for kids to run through.
* It was hot and muggy at the Cox Classic over the weekend. It was so muggy that the water hazard on the 16th fairway turned out to be “gallery sweat.”
* OPS teachers are now allowed to tweet at parents. This means that parents can receive progress reports on Twitter, get updates on Facebook and have an Instagram photo of their kid's diploma sent to them, all without ever having to set foot in a school.
* This should help alleviate some of the impersonal aspects of the modern educational process.
* UNL just held commencement at the new Pinnacle Bank Arena. I wouldn't say a lot of people were just there to see the arena, but by the time Steven Zimmerman marched across the stage to receive his diploma, there were three folks left to applaud.
* Tim Tebow's mom spoke in Omaha on Saturday. A lot of her mannerisms and opinions are similar to Tim's, with the major difference being she has a better throwing motion and higher completion percentage.
* Between this and Matt Damon's nephew, eastern Nebraska is the worldwide leader in celebrity relatives. Now if we can just finalize deals to get Abe Vigoda's grandson and Paris Hilton's cousin to town.
* The new library trend across the nation - filling the libraries with video games and big screen TVs to get kids interested. Why stop there? Let's also fill libraries with foosball, tanning parlors, petting zoos and doughnut makers; kids will be storming the buildings.
* Although the U.S. is dealing with unemployment, a worsening of the hole in the Ozone layer and war and the federal government may be on of the verge of shutting down, all Americans can think is: “Ben Affleck is wrong to play Batman.”
* Some say that Ben Affleck isn't macho enough to play Batman. That selection doesn't bother me nearly as much as Andy Dick playing Robin.
* 'N Sync just reunited for one night only. That is great news. I'm referring to the “one night only” part.