LINCOLN — A Bellevue man sentenced to 160 to 230 years in prison for sexually assaulting two children has lost his appeal to the Nebraska Supreme Court.
The high court ruled against Paul A. Valverde, 44, in a decision released Friday.
Valverde was convicted in Sarpy County District Court last year of six counts of sexual assault and four counts of child abuse.
In his appeal, Valverde argued that the district court improperly allowed evidence about his two prior child sex assault convictions.
The Supreme Court rejected his arguments, saying state law allows evidence of previous sexual assaults to be admitted to show a defendant's propensity to commit such crimes.
It also ruled that the lower court had followed appropriate procedures in admitting the evidence.
The high court said there was not a dispute about whether Valverde had committed the earlier assaults.
He fathered a child with one 15-year-old girl and was convicted of sexually assaulting her and a 13-year-old.
In the current case, a jury found Valverde guilty of repeatedly assaulting a girl between June 2008 and October 2010.
The girl was 12 when the assaults began. They continued until she finally disclosed them to her mother.
The jury also found Valverde guilty of assaulting a 12-year-old boy, who testified that, on the night of July 4, 2010, Valverde first touched him inappropriately and then ordered him to have sex with the girl.
Both children said that when the boy failed to perform up to Valverde's expectations, Valverde took over to “show him” what to do.
The boy and girl both wrote letters to the judge requesting that Valverde be given life in prison for the assaults.