The best way to lose weight, which has been proven time and time again, is to slightly reduce your caloric intake while increasing your output by exercising.
Here are five other calorie-cutting food items to kick-start any weight loss program:
- Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt: Use it in place of sour cream in recipes, on a baked potato, when mixing mac and cheese and in place of half of the avocado when making guacamole. Yes, you can use it in smoothies, too!
- Protein Powder: Use a teaspoon of flavored protein powder, shaken with an ounce of milk, in place of your favorite coffee creamer. Whey protein is great, but if you are intolerant, try whey protein isolate, or a soy or hemp product.
- Egg Whites: Use these in the morning for a quick breakfast and in place of whole eggs in recipes. Typically, one whole egg is enough in recipes and it is also the recommended limit of whole eggs to eat in one day.
- Fresh Lemons, Limes and Oranges: Use these to squeeze over steamed veggies or over grilled fish. Also, use them to flavor your water for a refreshing twist!
- Broccoli Slaw: With more nutrition and fiber than lettuce, this ingredient adds bulk to your meal and has very few calories. The slogan, “eat more, weigh less,” refers to eating more volume and nutrients for fewer calories, therefore providing satiety and making your body more efficient. Use broccoli slaw in wraps, salads, soups or heat it up with some diced chicken in a light stir-fry. Eat this in place of heavier dinners and you will thank yourself!