* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* The NRC is holding a closed meeting on the Fort Calhoun nuclear plant. Probably the best way to keep the public away is to hold the meeting at the Fort Calhoun nuclear plant.
* Gold has plunged to a two-year low. At the current rate of descent, in another two weeks, it'll be worth exactly the same as a median-priced Happy Meal coupon.
* NBC is considering a less sophisticated version of "The Voice" aimed at kids. A less sophisticated version of "The Voice?" Isn't that pretty much a Roadrunner cartoon?
* Are there a lot of young Americans going, "Ya know, I'd like to watch that singing competition on NBC, but the thing is way over my head"?
* In Manchester, N.H., police recovered a stolen engagement ring after a cop was assigned to stay by the alleged thief's side until he passed the ring. This is when you know you're not on the fast track at the police department.
* "You want me to investigate the bank robbery, sir?" "Come here, Johnson, I have a special assignment for you."
* Russia has plans to turn that site where the meteor crashed into a tourist attraction that some are referring to as “Meteor Disneyland.” What next? “Six Flags Over Chernobyl”?
* Orlando is now ranked No. 1 in the nation for crime. Apparently they finally started counting admission to Disney World as robbery.
* Some barbers are now offering blood pressure checks and other tests when you're in their chair. You know our health care system is lacking the day you hear somebody say: “I've been feeling awful lately. I better make an appointment at Supercuts.”
* A 6,000-pound safe was stolen from a popular barbecue restaurant in Lexington, N.C., in broad daylight. Apparently, diners saw two men struggling with a 6,000-pound object and just assumed it was carry out.
* Kim Kardashian is No. 1 on a new Worst Dressed List. After hearing this, Kim stood up in her ostrich-feathered chartreuse mini muumuu, grabbed her purple and green boa and said, “I am outta here.”
* In Australia, a naked bike ride featured 2,000 competitors. Talk about one race where you don't want to be in last place going uphill.
* San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy had to demote his own son to the minors. Mom isn't happy. Now Bochy will attempt to become the first coach to win a World Series after sleeping on the sofa all season.