Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is the No. 2 museum, zoo or aquarium to visit in the United States, according to Family Fun magazine.
The zoo certainly doesn't need to feel bad about coming in No. 2.
It was second only to the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. And Omaha topped some well-respected institutions in bigger cities.
Here's the top 10:
1. Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.
2. Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
3. Saint Louis Zoo, St. Louis.
4. Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago.
5. Museum of Science, Boston.
6. Steinhart Aquarium, San Francisco.
7. Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, Washington.
8. The Field Museum, Chicago.
9. Shedd Aquarium, Chicago.
10. Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga, Tenn.
The magazine surveyed 2,000 moms with children ages 3 to 12 and asked them to rate 360 popular destinations. More information on other categories.
One woman wrote of the Omaha zoo: “The most amazing zoo I've ever seen.”
And there's good news on the horizon for Omaha zoo visitors.
The construction around the entrance, including the new gift shop, expanded parking and Infield at the Zoo, is nearing completion.
As each section is finished, it is being opened to the public, said zoo spokeswoman Dawn Ream.
“It soon should make it easier to get in.”
She said the zoo's outdoor rides have all been inspected and are ready to go.
The weather just needs to cooperate a little.