The Scoular Company, a century-old agri-business, has been busy this winter remodeling its headquarter's historic 7,000-square-foot ballroom.
Now the company, which has occupied the building at 2027 Dodge St. since 1989, is inviting the public to view the ballroom renovations, which include updated architectural and design accents and a state-of-the-art audio and visual system. The event, which is free and open to the public, takes place from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, March 15.
Later this year, bride and groom dressing rooms and a banquet room than can accommodate up to 75 guests will be added to the ballroom, which is available for weddings, corporate and charitable events and other functions.
The building itself was constructed in 1929 for the Knights of Columbus, and served as a downtown social center for Omaha's Catholic community. The structure originally contained four hand-ball courts, gymnasium, swimming pool and a 400-seat balcony overlooking the pool and other amenities.
In 1944, the seven-floor building became home to the American Legion Post 1 -- the largest post in the nation, serving World War II soldiers and veterans.
In 1957, Northern Natural Gas, later known as Enron, purchased the building.
Thirty years later, The Scoular Company bought the building in 1987 from Northern Natural Gas, and spent 18 months restoring much of the structure's original architecture. In 1989, the company moved its headquarters from 90th and Dodge to the renamed and revamped Scouler Building.
Parking for the event will be available directly west of the building. For more information go to www.scoularballroom.com