* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* For those new to town, I have to explain how things work. Here, they're not called snowplow drivers. No, they're "determining factors in the mayoral race."
* After the snow stops, people look at their watches. "OK, if my street isn't plowed by 2 p.m., Suttle has lost my vote."
* A live Weather Channel report in Lincoln was interrupted by a man wearing a horse head. OK, now here's where the story starts to get a little weird...
* I think the head was left over from the Legislature's debate on the legality of eating horse meat.
* There's a new argument that Danica Patrick's light weight gives her an advantage in the Daytona 500. It's the same theory behind Iran's monkey-in-space program.
* The Omaha Boat Sports and Travel Show is underway at the CenturyLink Center. There was an embarrassing incident. Officials saw all the camping gear and RVs, mistook it for Occupy Omaha and ordered the show moved to Elmwood Park.
* There will be something like 700 celebrities at the Academy Awards ceremony. The big concern is it’ll be mistaken for the White House.
* Congress is criticized for being on recess a week before massive sequester cuts kick in. President Obama was going to lash out, but it may have looked bad for him to do so while wearing the souvenir yacht club captain suit he got on vacation in Florida.
* Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas has been suffering from laryngitis and cannot speak at all. One member of the current Congress silenced, 534 to go.
* Scientists say the universe is expected to end in 4.5 billion years. The big challenge will be completing Sunday’s Academy Awards ceremony before then.
* 4.5 billion years? That barely gives the Public Works Dept. enough time to clear Omaha’s side streets.
* Ohio State University at Mansfield offers a course in how to be a good spectator at sporting events. Maybe that should be offered at Wisconsin and Missouri.
* NHL forward Derek Dorsett is accused of biting another player. Forget that nonsense a couple weeks ago, this is when hockey season officially begins -- when the first NHL player is forced to undergo rabies shots.