Closings and cancellations list updated regularly. Know a closing we should add to our list? Email us at email@example.com.
* * * * *
Local government and city services
• City of Omaha — Thursday afternoon through Friday there may be delays in Omaha trash pickup. Collections will be complete by Saturday. City of Omaha Community Centers closed at 3 p.m. Thursday. Common Ground Community Center will close at 5 p.m., but Motto McLean Ice Arena will remain open for Winterfest. Snow emergency information »
• Omaha Public Libraries — South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., will close at noon. Other OPL locations will close at 2 p.m.
• Council Bluffs — Friday trash and recycling services for residents on Council Bluffs City waste services will be delayed until Saturday.
• Red River Waste Services will begin waste collection at 6 a.m. instead of 7 a.m. Thursday in Council Bluffs.
• Nebraska Department of Roads meeting on Columbus-area road resurfacing work scheduled for Thursday has been rescheduled to Feb. 26 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Columbus City Council Chambers.
• Nebraska Legislature — Canceled Thursday afternoon public hearings. They will be rescheduled.
• Saunders County — The public hearing of the Judicial Nominating Commission for County Court in the 5th Judicial District scheduled for Thursday will be held on on Tuesday, March 5, at 1:30 p.m. in the County Court Courtroom of the Saunders County Law Enforcement and Judicial Center, 387 N. Chestnut St., in Wahoo, Neb.
Arts and entertainment
• Aksarben Cinema — The Thursday screening of the documentary "Reveal The Path" has been postponed to 7 p.m. on Feb. 28.
• Blue Barn Theatre has canceled Thursday night's performance of "A Behanding In Spokane."
• Film Streams — Thursday's screening of "The Powerbroker" has been postponed. Also, all Thursday nigh screenings, including "Amour" (7 p.m., 9:25), "Live Action Shorts" (7:15) & "Wild Strawberries (9:40)" are cancelled.
• Josyln Art Museum — Closed at 1 p.m. Thursday.
• Omaha Children's museum — Closed Thursday.
• Omaha Community Playhouse has canceled Thursday's performance of "Evil Dead: The Musical."
• The Slowdown is closed today. The Pleasure Adapter show has been rescheduled to March 28.
• UNO hockey — Exhibition against the U.S. National Under-18 Team scheduled for Thursday has been postponed. The game has been rescheduled for 7:07 p.m. Saturday at the CenturyLink Center. All tickets for the game will be honored for the rescheduled game on Saturday.
• UNL has canceled Thursday evening's production of Leonard Bernstein's "Candide" at 7:30 p.m.
• More music and theatre closings here.
Area events and closings
• Alegent Creighton Clinics — Closed at 1:30 p.m. Thursday.
• The Alzheimer's Association Midlands Chapter — Office closed Thursday.
• Ashley Lynn's Tanning, Hair and Massage — Locations in the Omaha Area, Lincoln and Grand Island closed at 2 p.m. Thursday
• Bellevue Public Library — Closed at 5 p.m. Storytimes today have been canceled because they are linked with Bellevue Public Schools' decision to close.
• Borsheims Fine Jewelry & Gifts — Closed on Thursday.
• Bellevue Chamber of Commerce — Max Muscle ribbon cutting will be held Thursday, Feb. 28 at 4 p.m.
• Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church has canceled its Fish Fry on Friday.
• Board of Examiners for County Highway and City Street Superintendents meeting Friday in Lincoln has been postponed to March 1 at 10 a.m.
• Children's HEROES Fitness Class has been canceled for Thursday evening. Children's HEROES Clinic has been canceled for Friday.
• College of Nail Design — Classes canceled for Thursday.
• Crossroads Mall — Closed at 5 p.m. Thursday.
• CSO project — A public meeting Thursday to discuss the CSO project along Missouri Avenue and Spring Lake Park has been postponed to March 14 at the Kroc Center.
• Fat Brain Friday, originally scheduled for tomorrow with the Street Beats, has been postponed until Friday, March 8 at 5:30.
• Girl Scouts of America's World Thinking Day has been canceled Saturday.
• Great Plains Auto Body — The free child car seat inspections scheduled for Saturday morning have been postponed.
• Gretna Public Library —Closed Thursday.
• Hastings Community Theatre — Auditions for Leading Ladies, originally scheduled for Thursday night from 7 to 9 p.m. are being postponed to Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. Friday evening's auditions will proceed as planned from 7 to 9 p.m.
• ICA High School Culinary Invitational scheduled for Friday and Saturday has been canceled.
• La Vista Public Library — Closed at noon, the same time as Metro Community College, which shares the facility.
• Leavenworth Neighborhood Association — The February meeting has been canceled.
• Love's Jazz & Arts Center's "Experience a Taste of the Motherland" African fashion show has been postponed until March 2.
• Megabus –– Cancellations to services affecting Omaha, Des Moines, Iowa City, Kansas City, Columbia, St. Louis and some services in and out of Memphis and Chicago. Please call ahead.
• Methodist Health Systems and various Methodist Physicians Clinics have canceled or postponed events and hours of operation. Check for the latest updates here.
• Nebraska Humane Society — Closed at 1p.m. Thursday. Animal control is on the road for day shift, and will be running emergency calls after 4 p.m.
• Nebraska Medical Center — Canceled all volunteer shifts through the weekend.
• Omaha Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites — Closed Thursday.
• SAC Federal Credit Union's 21 locations and contact center will close at 3 p.m. Thursday.
• Salvation Army Omaha Kroc Center — Classes scheduled for the evening are canceled.
• Shadow Lake Towne Center — Closed at 6 p.m. Thursday. Some stores may remain open for regular business hours. Please call ahead. The shopping center is scheduled to reopen at 10 a.m. Friday.
• Sump Memorial Library in Papillion — Closed at noon.
• St. Paul United Methodist Church in Papillion — Canceled the Thursday night awareness event for its "Seeding the Future" campaign.
• St. Thomas More Church — Friday's fish dinner is canceled.
• Swimtastic Swim School will not be holding swim lessons after 2 p.m. Thursday.
• Several Village Pointe Shopping Center retailers and restaurants have closed or will close early Thursday. Some stores have opted to remain open but may close prior to 9 p.m.; those include Best Buy, Scheels, lululemon, Joseph A. Bank, J. Jill, Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, Mimi's Café, Marcus Village Pointe Cinema, Kona Grill and BRAVO! Cucina Italiana.
• VFW Post 10727 — Closed Thursday. Friday's fish fry is canceled.
• Westroads Mall — Closed at 5 p.m. Thursday.
Schools and universities closed Friday
• Falls City Public Schools
• West Point Public Schools
Schools and universities closed Thursday
• Omaha Public Schools
• Omaha Catholic Schools
• Westside Community Schools
• Bellevue Public Schools
• Papillion-La Vista Public Schools
• Elkhorn Public Schools
• Millard Public Schools
• Douglas County West Community Schools
• Fort Calhoun Community Schools
• Lincoln Public Schools — Click here for more LPS schedule changes
• Ralston Public Schools — Ralston will postpone the last day of classes this school year until Friday, May 24, to make up the snow day.
• Mount Michael Benedictine — Wednesday night's parent-teacher conferences are postponed to Feb. 27 from 3:45 to 6:15 p.m.
• Council Bluffs public schools along with the Lewis Central Community School District, St. Albert Catholic School and Heartland Christian School, all in the Bluffs, will be closed.
• University of Nebraska at Omaha — All classes and activities on campus are canceled.
• University of Nebraska-Lincoln: All classes and events are canceled and all offices and clinics are closed at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Only those individuals required to report during closedowns should report to work. Other scheduled performing arts or athletic events may or may not be affected by this announcement. Ticketholders are advised to check with the sponsoring unit of any public event.
• Creighton University — Closed at 12:30 p.m. Thursday because of the storm.
• Iowa Western Community College — Friday's health fair in Council Bluffs has been postponed.
• Metropolitan Community College –– Closed at noon Thursday.
• Grace University –– Closed at 12:30 p.m. Thursday.
• University of Nebraska at Kearney — Thursday day and night classes are canceled, the campus will be closed for all university-related activities, and the Child Development Center will be closed. Essential personnel will be contacted by their supervisors if they need to report to work Thursday.
Also closed Thursday
• Bishop Neumann High School
• Aim High Learning Campus (Hastings)
• Alma Public Schools
• Arapahoe Public Schools
• Cambridge Public Schools
• All Saints Catholic School preschool and elementary (Holdrege)
• Educational Service Unit 11
• Educational Service Unit 9
• Franklin Public Schools
• Hastings Public Schools
• Holdrege Public Schools
• Kearney Public Schools
• Maywood Public Schools
• Minden Public Schools
• Overton Public Schools
• Shelton Public Schools
• Silver Lake Public Schools
• Southern Valley Schools
• Sumner-Eddyville-Miller Schools
•The Douglas County District Court's Office of Conciliation and Mediation Services parent-education class "What about the Children.''
Other school-related closings
• Brownell-Talbot School — Kindergarten Round-Up, originally scheduled for Friday, has been postponed until March 2.
• Central High School — The College Planning Night for juniors on Wednesday has been postponed to Wednesday, March 6, at 6:30 p.m. in the school auditorium.
• North High School — Canceled its National Engineering Week ceremony scheduled for Thursday at 9:30 a.m. in the school auditorium. School administrators do not anticipate rescheduling the event.
College and universities
• The Dave Barse Kids Club will be closed Thursday.
• The Scholastic Art Awards of Nebraska ceremony has been postponed to Saturday, March 2 at the Teacher Administrative Center. The schools attending at 11 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. will remain the same.
• Benson High Magnet School's production of "Seussical the Musical" has been postponed to Thursday, February 28, Friday, March 1 and Saturday, March 2. All showtimes will be at 7 p.m.
• More central Nebraska closings from the Kearney Hub
Snow emergency information
• City of Omaha — Snow emergency begins at midnight on Feb. 22. Parking rules for locations east of 72nd street:
» If it's an even-numbered day, park on the side of the street with even-numbered addresses. That's the north or west side.
» If it's an odd-numbered day, park on the side of the street with odd-numbered addresses. That's the south or east side.
» “No parking” signs with arrows must still be obeyed. But if the sign says "No Parking This Side This Block," you can park there if you're following the even/odd rules.
» Handicapped parking spaces may not be used by any vehicle when parking is prohibited.
• La Vista — Snow emergency began at 7 a.m. Thursday. All parked vehicles must be removed from city roads.
• Papillion — Snow emergency until 2 p.m. Friday. Residents are asked to not park on the street during this time.