* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* The Academy Award nominations came out Thursday morning. This is when we honor the best movies of 2012 that were seen by film critics and 11 members of the general public.
* If anyone in Council Bluffs has spare bottled water, I have a buyer willing to spend 30 bucks per bottle.
* Thursday morning, it was a good idea for Omaha commuters to avoid Dodge Street after a water main break near 108th Street. Every other day of the year it's a good idea for Omaha commuters to avoid Dodge Street just because it's Dodge Street.
* After a man crashed his car through the front entrance of a Lincoln Valentino's, he placed a pizza order while still trapped in his Honda. OK, I seldom use the word "foodie," but in this case ...
* Mitt Romney's son Tagg said his father "wanted to be president less than anyone I've met in my life.” Tagg Romney, John McCain. John McCain, Tagg Romney.
* Jimmy Carter is calling for the legalization of marijuana. He's just been named Person of the Millennium in Colorado.
* Disgraced former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is running for Congress. It'll become official when he throws his mistress into the ring.
* A bill in South Carolina would criminalize Obamacare. I can picture that first conversation between new cellmates. “Whatta ya in for?” “Burglary and theft. You?” “Oh, I signed up for the Affordable Care Act.”
* Linguistic experts have identified the longest word in the world. It is 189,819 letters long and takes 3 1/2 hours to pronounce. It was last used by Dennis Miller during a Monday Night Football game to describe a two-yard run up the middle.
* It's expected the longest word in the world will next be used during Ernie Chambers' first full week back in the Nebraska Legislature.
* KFAB has taken its late-night psychic off the air. Oh, great. We had the most dependable weather forecast in the Omaha area, and now it's gone.
* Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson proposed to longtime girlfriend Jeanie Buss. Unfortunately, Mrs. Kobe Bryant stepped forward and intercepted the ring.
* After the Knicks lost to the Celtics, Carmelo Anthony reportedly waited to try to fight Kevin Garnett in the tunnel leading to the locker rooms. Carmelo, the WWE called. It wants its antics back.
* Creighton may form a new athletic conference with the schools leaving the Big East. This sort of sounds like the secessionist movement, only with more departures.