An early-morning electrical fire Sunday kept an Omaha sporting goods store from opening on one of the busiest days of the Christmas shopping season.
However, the fire didn't keep the store shuttered for long: Scheels reopened Monday at 9 a.m. and an official said it would remain open until 5 p.m.
Firefighters were called to Scheels All Sports at 17202 Davenport St. in the Village Pointe shopping center about 2:45 a.m. for a fire on the second floor.
Battalion Chief Tim McCaw said firefighters found a small fire caused by an electrical malfunction that was contained to a section of shelving in the fishing department.
Two sprinkler heads activated, containing the fire to that location. McCaw said there was heavy smoke and water damage throughout the second floor.
Bill Siebler, a spokesman for Scheels, said the store was cleaned and open for business Monday morning.
Contact the writer: 402-444-1272, firstname.lastname@example.org