* * * * *
* I just had my first Christmas carolers of the season. In a sign of the times they were doing “Oh Holy Night” Gangnam style.
* It was 7 degrees in Omaha early Monday morning. Perfectly formed ice sculptures were flowing out of our broken water mains.
* Sunday morning Omaha received a few snow flurries. The three finalists for OPS superintendent attempted to prove they're qualified for the job by closing schools for three days.
* On Friday OPS named three finalists to be new superintendent. One is from Iowa, because that worked out so well last time.
* Good news: The national unemployment rate has edged down. Bad news: Many of the new jobs created are for psychologists to help people deal with the impending end of the world.
* Joe Biden attended the opening of a new Costco in Washington D.C. Joe Biden was at Costco. OK, this settles it, he's running for president in 2016.
* It was the first Costco to open to Washington D.C. and Biden was there. You'd think the vice president of the United States would have better...no, never mind.
* Did you see the enormous National Christmas Tree the Obamas just lit? If that thing were slightly taller we could just climb to Mars.
* The Obamas attended the taping of the TV special “Christmas In Washington” which features a performance by “Gangnam style” Korean rapper Psy who has been criticized for previous anti-American lyrics. If you're over 40 right about now you probably really miss Bing Crosby.
* It's a good thing Mitt Romney or Rick Perry didn't win the election. “Your name is Psy? Really?”
* Over the weekend President Obama and John Boehner finally met face to face to discuss the fiscal cliff. The meeting went as expected with a nonstop flurry of punches culminating in a sixth round knockout — wait, that was the Pacquiao-Marquez fight.
* Obama and Boehner met in the Oval Office. When they heard Boehner was coming, Obama aides had to quickly cover the president's Sean Hannity dartboard.
* Fiscal cliff talks are expected to go down to the wire. There's a scary thought: on New Year's Eve our future could be decided by members of Congress throwing back champagne and wearing party hats.
* The House Republicans' plan to avoid a fiscal cliff is being criticized as being short on specifics. In a nutshell it calls for “Raising some dough, now or later, by means of doing this or possibly that, now or then, or maybe down the road. Or not.”
* Members of the media are calling on our leaders to begin acting like adults in the fiscal cliff debate. I don't know that it's working. At last report Obama was pouting, John Boehner was petulant and Sarah Palin is calling everybody “wusses.”
* According to one report, fiscal cliff talks are going better than expected. Instead of an unmitigated disaster they're only an abject disappointment.
* Mitt Romney met with Manny Pacquiao before Pacquiao's stunning upset knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez Saturday night. If you're keeping track, Romney has replaced the black cat as the international symbol of bad luck.
* Romney said the Pacquiao-Marquez fight was so savage it reminded him of his second debate with Obama.
* More info is coming out about President Obama hosting Mitt Romney for lunch at the White House. At the conclusion of the meal the Jaws of Life were brought in to remove Romney from the premises.
* The 2012 Christmas season has officially kicked off. That happened when Deffenbaugh hauled away the final tree set out the curb at the end of the 2011 Christmas season.