* * * * *
This is Brad's afternoon edition.
* According to a new study by the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress, high fat breakfast sandwiches are not good for your heart. According to another astonishing, groundbreaking study by the group, a lunch of lard and half a hog's hindquarters is not the secret to a long life.
* An expert on “The Jeff Probst Show” told women what to say to pick up men. I'd guess that'd be “Hello.”
* Neuorophysicists have declared a 66-year-old man to be “The Happiest Person in the World.” I'm guessing he was pleased with the honor.
* Michael Lohan is helping Octomom with some substance abuse issues. Was Keith Richards unavailable?
* “Bachelorette” Emily Maynard and fiancee Jef Holm have ended their engagement that began in July. From now on as soon as someone on “The Bachelorette” or “The Bachelor” gets engaged there should be a countdown clock marking the remaining minutes in the relationship.
* After a bizarre rule call went against the Detroit Lions, an assistant coach kicked the playbook. To give you an idea what kind of day it was for the Lions the kicked playbook hit the goal post cross bar and bounced off.
* The Big Ten, which just grew to 14 members, now reportedly may have its sights on Kansas and North Carolina. At this rate soon the Big Ten will have more members than the Longhorn Network has viewers.
* A Wisconsin school district is trying to stop a joint public-private high school football team from having crosses on its helmets. This marks the first time a group of people in foam rubber cheeseheads have said: “Your headware is unacceptable.”
* Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly sad he's willing to go on “Oprah” to lobby for Notre Dame's inclusion in the title game. The BCS is so stupid, going on Oprah is probably worth two points.
* A player named Jack Taylor at Grinnell (IA.) College scored 138 points in a game against Faith Baptist. A Faith Baptist coach said the team could have done a better job defending Taylor. I believe we have a winner in the 2012 “Understatement of the Year” contest.
* You know you've scored a lot when your point total approaches the average American's credit score.
* Mike D'Antoni made his Lakers coaching debut on crutches. I guess that was just Kobe letting him know who's boss.