The dispute over the display of a war-dead memorial in Millard Public Schools has been resolved.
Bill Williams, co-creator and promoter of the Remembering Our Fallen exhibit, said Friday the exhibit will be displayed at the Millard branch of the Omaha Public Library for two weeks in April.
Millard board member Mike Kennedy, who met Friday with Williams and his wife, Evonne, said board members will help promote the event, acting in their personal capacity.
Board members will reach out to social studies teachers, principals, veterans groups and Catholic schools to make it a community event, Kennedy said.
The exhibit had already been booked at that location April 13-28, funded by a sponsor, Williams said.
“What we proposed was, let's just put all our efforts into encouraging people to come to the Millard Public Library in April,” Williams said. “And so he agreed to that.”
The library branch is “the busiest one in town,” he said.
The deal was reached after board members offered Thursday to personally pay the $75-an-hour cost of renting space at a Millard school for a weekend run sometime in the next few months.
That offer was aimed at avoiding district concerns about putting the exhibit in high schools during the school day.
The controversy erupted last week after principals at Millard West, South and North turned down Williams' request to place the exhibit in the high schools, citing scheduling and logistics issues.
District officials later said they were concerned that allowing the exhibit into the schools during the school day could legally obligate the district to accept less desirable exhibits.
The decision not to book the exhibit prompted outrage and a letter-writing campaign from veterans and the families of lost military members.
The display features photographs of veterans from Nebraska who died in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The Nebraska exhibit has traveled the state for 22 months. It is to visit 15 high schools this school year, including Westside, Burke and Bellevue East and West.