Humid, almost summery weather is expected to linger into Wednesday before a storm front pushes through, dropping temperatures and bringing potentially severe weather.
Highs on Wednesday in the metro area are expected to reach well into the 70s, said Tom Kines, meteorologist with AccuWeather Inc., The World-Herald's private weather consultant.
He expects the Gulf of Mexico moisture that has brought this week's dampness to clash with an approaching front and fuel storms Wednesday night.
“It's not out of the question that we'll get a significant rainfall out of this front,” Kines said.
Depending on the timing and speed of the system, the Omaha area could get ½ to 1 inch of rain, possibly accompanied by large hail and damaging winds, he said. But the greater threat of severe weather is east into Iowa.
There's a slight chance – about 20 percent – that the rain could begin Wednesday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service. The greater likelihood for rain – about 80 percent – is overnight Wednesday. Thursday morning commuters could see lingering showers.
Temperatures are forecast to cool off in the wake of the storm. Thursday's high is forecast in the 40s, which would feel noticeably cooler than Wednesday's high of nearly 80 degrees, Kines said.
Normal to below-normal temperatures are forecast into next week. The average high this time of year in Omaha is near 60 degrees