A second man has died from injuries suffered in a house fire that authorities say was caused by the accidental spilling of gasoline.
Billy Boyer, 39, died Friday at the Nebraska Medical Center, two days after the death of housemate Merlin Garnder, 66.
Joseph Mangiamelli, 42, remained in critical condition in the Nebraska Medical Center's burn unit.
The men were among six people inside 3710 Fowler Ave. when improperly stored gasoline errupted into a blaze at 9 a.m. Tuesday, fire officials said.
Fire investigators announced Friday that the residents of the home were storing gasoline in five-gallon plastic water containers in the basement. One container ruptured as it was being carried down the stairs. Vapors from the spilled gasoline were ignited by the pilot light on the gas furnace, investigators said.
Boyer, Gardner and Mangiamelli were trapped in the basement, but one of them escaped from the house before firefighters arrived at the scene. Two others in the house suffered minor injuries.
Candace Gardner said her father, Merlin Gardner, and cousin, Mangiamelli, grew up in Omaha. Her father, who lived in the basement of the home, was a disabled veteran. Mangiamelli used to be a cook, but had been disabled for years, she said.
Boyer was engaged to be married and was a father.
Gardner's funeral is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at Kremer Funeral Home, 6302 Maple St.
Gardner's granddaughter, Brittney Hunter, said the family has set up a fund to help pay for his funeral service. Donations can made in Gardner's name through Kremer Funeral Home.
Services for Boyer have not been announced.
— Sam Womack