* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition. Click here to read his morning edition.
* New York Times staffers are going to walk off the job to protest management's refusal to conduct contract negotiations. If I worked at the New York Times, I would've walked off years ago over management's policy to refer to convicted heinous criminals as "Mr."
* Gas prices in parts of California are over $5 a gallon. According to an informal poll, if gas prices reach $30 per gallon before the election, two or three Californians may actually vote against President Obama.
* An Alabama 8-year-old wrote Mitt Romney a letter urging him not to get rid of Big Bird. When Romney saw that he had received a letter written in crayon, he assumed it was from a member of the current Congress.
* Mitt Romney's aides and Ohio backers say they don't believe the polls in Ohio. So it sounds like in the past week Romney has visited the states of Ohio, Colorado and Florida, and now his campaign has entered a new state – denial.
* Iowa was the first swing state to begin early voting. This is in keeping with Iowa's official state motto: “Forget being the best. We just wanna be first.”
* A huge Women for Obama rally was held on an outdoor mall in Columbus, Ohio. Not to be outdone, the Women for Romney rally will be held inside a Fargo Kum & Go.
* The opponent of 78-year-old senator Orrin Hatch, a guy named Scott Howell, said people shouldn't vote for Hatch because he could die before his term is through. Man, is this guy off-base. With the current Congress, you can die in office and still do the job.
* A man has completed a walk around the city limits of Omaha. I've traveled all around our city limits. It's called “taking a cab from the airport.”
* Playboy magazine named Ohio State University one of the top party schools in the nation. There must be something to it. On Saturday night I saw OSU Chancellor E. Gordon Gee at the game and his bow tie was spinning.
* The Boise State football equipment truck hit a cow on the highway on its way to a game at Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg. Actually, it'd be news if a truck heading to Hattiesburg didn't hit a cow on the highway.
* Some sports gossip: Raiders QB Matt Leinart has supposedly been exchanging “explicit” text messages with former “Bachelorette” star Emily Maynard behind the back of her fiance, Jef Holm. Holm said he'd have no comment until he locates the missing F from his first name.
* After hearing this, NFL fans reacted with shock and said, “Matt Leinart is still in the league?”