* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition
* Miami Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst has reportedly resigned to take the same job at Nebraska. With him coming from the University of Miami, it's easy to see the appeal of Nebraska, a school whose biggest problem with the NCAA was when Lil' Red rode a non-approved bicycle.
* This shows just how good the job of Husker A.D. is. This guy is leaving Miami for Lincoln, Nebraska just as we head into winter.
* The CEO of Chick-fil-A has clarified the restaurant's position on gay marriage. I find it telling that I just sat through a 90-minute presidential debate and the only position on a major issue that I'm clear on belongs to Chick-fil-A.
* On his 20th anniversary President Obama appeared listless, uninspired, disinterested. Apparently Obama's been campaigning with Bill Clinton so much he's adopted Clinton's "wedding anniversary mode."
* For the third time in a week, seats that are loose have been found on an American Airlines flight. The only ones not complaining are the coach passengers who got to experience first class when their seats slid to the front of the cabin.
* The winter forecast for 2013 is out. I'd feel more confident in this is forecasters could have predicted the 2 a.m. thunderstorm in Omaha during the 10 p.m. forecast.
* Here's a nice story - a 92-year-old Macy's sales clerk has just retired after 73 years. She starts her new job at Walmart on Monday.
* The group Lynyrd Skynyrd says it will not abandon the Confederate flag. Alabama football fans said: “That goes for us too.”
* Wednesday night I had to decide whether to watch the UFL game or the presidential debate. I went with the UFL because a year from now the White House will still be around.
* Going into this weekend, Conference USA had five win-less football teams. Conference USA is going by its new nickname: “Little Big Ten.”
* There was a 3.4 magnitude earthquake in Texas. The ground was shaking so hard Big 12 officials were knocked out of the bed they share with Texas U. administrators.
* The semi-pro football team the Central Penn Piranha features a 6'11, 500-pound defensive tackle. The last time I saw something that size it was being hoisted along a Council Bluffs viaduct.
* NHL players are locked out. This is the third major pro sports work stoppage this year. Here's hoping the trend continues so eventually soccer is affected.
* NBA training camps open this week. Man, the off-season goes fast, mainly because it's only 72 hours.