* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition:
* Sarah Palin lashed out and said that Democratic National Convention speaker John Kerry diminished himself by even mentioning her name. Acrimony in politics is so bad now the politicians are even dissing themselves.
* Paul Ryan embellished his time for running a marathon. We've gone from George Washington who couldn't tell a lie to political figures who shave time off their distance running.
* Joe Biden was upset last night. Apparently, about an hour before Biden was due to speak, Lil' Wayne stole his entire speech at the Video Music Awards.
* Joe Biden repeatedly misused the word "literally" during his speech and was corrected by people on Twitter. It doesn't get any more embarrassing than having Twitter users correct your English.
* Apparently there's some confusion among Nebraskans who arrived early in Los Angeles for Saturday's Huskers-Bruins game. That huge tailgate party Friday morning was actually freeway rush hour traffic.
* The Huskers are expected to play well at the Rose Bowl on Saturday. That alone makes them overqualified for the Big Ten.
* A Nebraska Football Is Back luncheon is being held. My concern is that it may be co-sponsored by the Short Memory Club and the We've Been Down This Road Before Alliance.
* There was a 3.5 magnitude earthquake in Los Angeles Friday morning. Seismologists believe the quake was caused by 30,000 members of Californians for Nebraska arriving in town.
* President Obama gave a shout out to Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads. Sure, Obama realizes that as long as Iowa State is playing Big 12 football, the president of the United States will have only the second-toughest job in the world.
* In the largest margin in history, Florida State is favored by 70½ points over Savannah State. This is when you know a college football analyst isn't on the “A” team - he's assigned to the game with the 70½ point spread.
* Did odds-makers have to add the half point? Isn't it humiliating enough to be a 70-point underdog?
* During the Alabama-Michigan game, Brent Musburger's audio was dumped after he said something offensive, an incident that was noticed by the 17 viewers around the country who don't already mute their audio whenever Brent Musburger is calling the game.
* The Dallas Cowboys have banned Dez Bryant from strip clubs. He's not allowed to drink. And his nightly curfew is midnight. Omaha Public Schools has the same rules for the next superintendent.