* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition
* Before the Republican National Convention got under way, Mitt Romney blasted President Obama for running a “vituperative” campaign. Rick Perry said, “I didn't know we were going to be speaking in tongues.”
* NBC is covering the convention with its new ace political analyst – Ryan Seacrest.
* The edge of Tropical Storm Isaac threatens the GOP convention in Tampa, Fla. Over the weekend it was traveling 45 mph and nobody knew which direction it would go next. So it's a lot like Mitt Romney's bus tour.
* Tampa is on the edge of Isaac. The convention balloon drop will go on as scheduled, but the balloons will all land in Nova Scotia.
* The is embarrassing: To keep the storm out of Florida, the Arizona delegation is proposing building a 20-foot fence along the border.
* The Republicans have their work cut out as they try to convince Americans that the party with the judgment to hold its convention in Florida at the peak of hurricane season is the best to lead us into the future.
* Meanwhile, President Obama is staying close to home. He's campaigning in Iowa, his adopted home state.
* Several delegates took cover when they thought they heard the roar of an approaching hurricane. Turns out it was just Chris Matthews arriving at the arena.
* On Monday, MSNBC's Matthews lashed out at Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus. As always, out of respect, MSNBC waited the standard tenth of a second after the GOP convention began to trash the opposition.
* Michele Bachmann warned of a “spiritual hurricane" facing the U.S. As always, the Republican convention officially kicks off when someone throws out the first ridiculously insensitive metaphor.
* It used to be that the rival party would cede the spotlight during the other party's convention week out of politeness. That hasn't stopped President Obama from making plans to strap on a jet pack and land on the podium during Romney's acceptance speech.
* Ron Paul told the New York Times: “I don't fully endorse Mitt Romney.” That's probably why Paul was denied a convention speaking role. “I hereby throw 55 percent of my support behind the nominee!”
* All Republicans are excited about the start of the convention. Mitt Romney is so excited that he almost blinked.
* Due to the storm, the convention was delayed by one day, but the Sunday night preconvention party went on as scheduled. Who says Republicans and Democrats don't have any common ground?
* The national networks are devoting very little coverage to the Republican convention. In a desperate attempt to get TV air time this week, the GOP entered Paul Ryan on “Wipeout.”
* To put this in perspective, Romney would have received more television coverage if he was a Bulgarian badminton player at the London Olympics.
* The Mars rover Curiosity continues to send back some amazing photos. In the latest you can see a Tim Tebow errant pass attempt from Sunday night's Jets game sail past.
* Athletes today are out of control. I read about one team where a player just got a DUI. Another player was named in a paternity suit. And a third is being sued for not paying child support. And this was at the Little League World Series.