* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition
* Deb Fischer and Bob Kerrey will debate on Saturday at the Nebraska State Fair. Fischer is expected to have home field advantage, since I'm pretty sure the property line of her Valentine ranch extends to Grand Island.
* Bob Kerrey just met with Willie Nelson on Nelson's tour bus. As if the Kerrey campaign hasn't met with enough struggles, now he could be going into Saturday's state fair debate with Deb Fischer with a contact high.
* Fox News offered to host a Bob Kerrey-Deb Fischer debate this fall. Kerrey immediately said yes, and Fischer is mulling it over. This is the first time in recorded history that the Democrat is eager to appear on Fox News and the Republican has reservations.
* On the list of Best Bar Cities, Omaha finished third. On another list of Best Cities for Successful Aging, Omaha also finished third. With Social Security likely going belly up, you need lots of bars for successful aging.
* The Iowa State Fair just ended. Thank goodness the weather turned cooler; there's nothing worse than a melted butter cow.
* This weekend in New York, Justin Bieber will perform at the World Humanitarian Day concert. Because it's Humanitarian Day, when Bieber takes the stage, the sound will be turned off.
* Gov. Dave Heineman just held an open house to celebrate the 55th year of the Nebraska governor's mansion. Things were so festive, in a spirit of bipartisanship, Mayor Jim Suttle showed up and gave everybody a raise.
* During his appearance in Council Bluffs, President Obama shouted, “Hello Omaha.” It's part of the new Obama program, “Throw Nebraska A Bread Crumb.”
* On Sunday, President Obama and family attended the family church. In order to find the family church, they used satellite imaging sent back by the Mars rover.
* Mitt Romney named Wisconsin congressman Paul Ryan as his running mate. Ryan was second choice. To win over Iowans, Romney wanted to name a butter cow, but that isn't allowed, even though a butter cow is certainly capable of being vice president.
* Porn star Jenna Jameson has endorsed Mitt Romney, as has Clint Eastwood. Nobody can say Romney does not have varied appeal.
* A Romney adviser said that President Obama would do anything to be reelected. Which Obama plans to deny shortly before his appearance on “Extreme Home Makeover,” where the White House is going to be imploded and then rebuilt.
* Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus called Sen. Harry Reid a “dirty liar” regarding Reid's accusation that Romney may not have paid taxes for a decade. Nice to see the level of political discourse is not disintegrating.
* Campaigning in Indiana, Mitt Romney spoke of “an extraordinary series of failures.” Jeez, even Romney is weighing in on Indiana football's performance in the Big Ten.
* Roseanne Barr has won the presidential nomination of the Peace & Freedom Party. The good news is, for the first time in American history, a woman has won a party nomination for president. The bad news: it's Roseanne Barr.
* President Obama is leading Mitt Romney in polls mostly due to a gender gap. In an attempt to close the gender gap, Romney is sending Newt Gingrich out to marry as many undecided females as possible.
* Diana Nyad is again attempting to swim from Cuba to Florida. Is it a good idea to show 11 million Cubans that this is even possible?
* For the first time, employees over age 55 are going to outnumber employees under age 55 in the U.S. workplace. One sign of the times: American workers now fritter away time on the job by downloading “Barnaby Jones” videos.
* Supposedly there's a new test to determine sexual orientation, based on the dilation of a person's pupils. I prefer the old-fashioned way - seeing who walks into Chick-fil-A.
* United Airlines is introducing its new Dreamliner. Of course it's called that because if you think it's going to get you there on time, not lose your luggage and you'll be served a hot meal, you're dreaming.
* A fisherman pulled a 100-million-year-old oyster from the sea. You know fishermen - he told friends the oyster was 101 million years old.