* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition
* This weekend Gov. Dave Heineman is hosting an open house to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the governor's mansion. It's B.Y.O. W. With the rationing in Lincoln, that stands for Bring Your Own Water.
* The first photos are being sent back by the Mars rover Curiosity. Talk about ubiquitous. In one, you can see Bob Costas reporting on the Olympics.
* The Mars rover Curiosity has landed on the red planet. It’s going to search for any sign of intelligent life. If the fiscal cliff crisis is allowed to drag into next year, we need to send Curiosity to search for any sign of intelligent life in Washington D.C.
* Curiosity is traveling at a speed of 150 yards per week. It’s an attempt to simulate an Olympic doubles badminton player moving in zero gravity.
* The U.S. Postal Service is defaulting on a $5.5 billion payment and, the U.S. Congress is leaving on recess. It’s seeing those two items in the same sentence that makes me worried about the future of this country.
* Mitt Romney’s high school freshman year report card was made public. So we don't know who Romney’s running mate is, we haven't seen his tax returns, and he lacks public positions on issues. This is the first election where we have to decide based on a candidate’s ninth grade mark in social studies.
* Clint Eastwood endorsed Mitt Romney. An hour later, everyone else in Hollywood endorsed Obama.
* Romney is seeking a running mate to balance the ticket. To balance a Mitt Romney ticket, specifically the campaign is looking for a broke, bald guy who’s released his taxes.
* President Obama said one industry has thrived under his leadership. I’m not sure you can count companies that manufacture faux Obama birth certificates.
* The latest jobs report is either The Greatest Event in American History or an Unmitigated Disaster of Epic Proportion depending on whether you saw the story on CNN or Fox News.
* American Airlines is the first major U.S. airliner to introduce “lie flat” seats. This means that the kid behind you kicking your seat will now be kicking your head.
* Charlie Sheen suited up and took batting practice with the Cincinnati Reds. Haven’t there been enough failed drug tests in sports lately without this?
* The drug test of a Hungarian Olympic hammer thrower came back clean but revealed urine from several different people. OK, I’m all for teammates staying close off the field of play. However ...
* It was not a good Olympics for the USA men’s boxing team in London. Our 184-pounder was TKO’d by Camilla Parker-Bowles.