* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition
* The Summer Olympics are under way. I look for Team USA to bring home lots of gold and thrill the country the team represents. Which, thanks to their outfits, is China.
* How about those Olympics opening ceremonies? I haven't seen pyrotechnics like that since Huey Lewis left the Memorial Park stage about three weeks ago.
* A Chinese women's swimmer was so fast in the 400 IM that her last leg was actually faster than men's winner Ryan Lochte. Something may be going on with the Chinese women swimmers, because she also smashed the all-time record held by Flipper.
* Queen Elizabeth II's granddaughter made her debut in equestrian. The British judge gave her a perfect score before she even mounted the horse.
* The big story is about those Americans poised to win gold. But enough about the proposed salary increases for Mayor Jim Suttle's staff.
* Michael Phelps finished fourth in the 400 IM. Watching the race felt like going to a Superman movie and Superman loses in the end.
* I wouldn't say there's a lot of tape delay on NBC, but the network just aired the 2008 100-meter breaststroke semifinal.
* Mitt Romney is in a bit of trouble for flying to Britain and saying that there are "disconcerting" signals the British are not prepared for the Olympic Games. Friday, Romney committed another faux pas when he tried to toss his tax returns into the burning Olympic cauldron.
* If you want to see highlights of Romney's trip abroad, it will be released as a film: "Mitt's National Lampoon's Vacation."
* Romney made so many outrageous comments in London that Robert Blake called and said, "Tone it down."
* Michelle Obama addressed U.S. Olympic athletes. Speculation has her telling them that winning is not the most important thing. No, making a large donation to my husband's campaign is the most important thing.
* The opening ceremonies featured British actor Kenneth Branagh reciting Shakespeare. Things are a little more high brow over there. If the Olympics were in the U.S., we would have seen something like Adam Sandler and Kellie Pickler's "Fun with Sock Puppets."
* Because it's Britain, during the opening ceremonies every gold medal was awarded to Queen Elizabeth II.
* I like the Husker football alternate uniforms. The big concern now is that the San Francisco Bombers roller derby team may sue for stealing their design.
* This just in on the new Husker alternate uniforms. Tom Osborne formally thanked the designer – Lady Gaga.
* With the futuristic look of the new Husker football alternate jerseys, instead of "Go Big Red" at the Wisconsin game, fans are encouraged to shout "Beam me up, Scotty."