* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's afternoon edition
* America is truly the land of opportunity. Where else can a guy who raises $100 million in a month go head to head with another guy who brings in $90 million from wealthy donors in four weeks to be the next president of the United States?
* Tom Cruise just turned 50. His friends were going to throw a surprise party and then realized it'd be impossible to top the surprise he got last week.
* The Running of the Bulls is under way in Pamplona, Spain. Actually, due to Spain's new austerity measures, it's now the Running of the Gerbils.
* The House of Representatives, in a vote that's largely ceremonial, voted to repeal President Obama's health care plan. Congressmen may have done this to become more popular with the American public. It worked. In a new approval poll, Congress is now tied with salmonella.
* Mitt Romney spoke to the NAACP convention Wednesday. I haven't heard a crowd booing like that since the Iron Sheik threatened to set fire to an American flag.
* President Obama is calling for an extension of the Bush tax cuts. I don't have all the details, but I believe Obama is calling for extending them until the day after the election.
* Two endangered green sea turtles have arrived at the Henry Doorly Zoo recently. They're already a big draw; many of us have never seen creatures that move slower than our state legislators.
* A New Mexico woman was jailed overnight for not returning a “Twilight” book and DVD to the local library. She'll probably get community service. I think getting a “Twilight” book and DVD off the streets is community service.
* Here's an amazing, feel-good story: An Adele song came on the radio and woke up a patient who had been in a coma. Unfortunately, then a Nickelback song came on the radio, and the patient lapsed back into a coma.
* There's a new search to find Amelia Earhart. If this works out, then we're gonna try and find Ricky Martin.
* Rihanna used a body double in a new TV commercial. Something is drastically wrong in this world when Rihanna is using body doubles and Roseanne Barr is not.
* Some Olympics trivia: The tug of war was an Olympic sport contested from 1900 to 1920. I can pretty much guarantee you that 100 years from now people will look back and say, “Curling? What were those Neanderthals in 2012 thinking?”
* I'm sorry, but there are too many records in Major League Baseball. The other night a game was halted to announce a player just tied the mark for most stolen bases on a Thursday by a guy named Gary.