* * * * * * * * * *
Brad's morning edition
Check back with Omaha.com this afternoon for more jokes from Brad.
* Sixty-nine people have applied to be the next police chief of Omaha. The applicants can relax - with the turnover in Omaha police chiefs, they'll all get a chance.
* Wait just a second - now 70 people have applied to be the new chief of police. Another application came in from a "J. Bruning."
* I think Lee Terry's supporters are getting a bit cocky. After his primary win on Tuesday, the crowd was chanting "28 more years! 28 more years!"
* In the primary, Terry defeated a former Husker football player and is now favored over John Ewing, who was a football star at Northwest High when Terry was equipment manager. A quick lesson for kids still in high school: this is frequently how things turn out in the real world, so be nice to the equipment manager.
* How about the image of Jon Bruning and Deb Fischer embracing? That Photoshop is amazing.
* In a show of party unity Wednesday, Fischer, Bruning and Don Stenberg met at Republican headquarters in Nebraska. Before the contest, they're blood enemies. Afterward, friends. A Nebraska Senate race is sort of like a less-dignified version of professional wrestling.
* In a show of Democratic unity, Bob Kerrey is planning to meet with his two biggest opponents in the primary, whoever those guys were.
* New York Assembly member Michelle Schimel is running for re-election against her estranged husband. I think I found the one campaign more contentious than the Nebraska Republican senate race.
* Picture that debate. "My opponent, who not only doesn't understand the plight of the people of New York, but who rarely took out the garbage ..."
* A Florida family had to evacuate their home after a 50-foot-deep sinkhole opened in the backyard. It won't be their problem for long. They put the house on the market with their Realtor writing "Lots of storage room!" in the headline.
* A bear crashed through a window at a New Jersey elementary school. Wildlife officials couldn't locate a tranquilizer gun, so they ushered him into math class.
* The students in the school were distraught, mostly because the bear raised the grade curve 5 points.
* In Switzerland, it's time for the cow fighting festival. If cow fighting catches on in the U.S., football will soon be only the second-most-popular sport in Oklahoma.
* The TV Land Awards just aired. They were sort of like a San Antonio Spurs-Boston Celtics playoff game, only with younger stars.